Tushar Mountains in the background
Click for Beaver, Utah Forecast     
 Popular Attractions

Rock Corral Recreation
   For rockhounders and visitors interested in the historic mines in Beaver County, we suggest you travel to the Mineral Mountains east of Milford and stop at the Rock Corral Recreation Area.

Utah Rockhouning: This site contains information regarding the location of the Mineral Mountains.

Some areas within the County are desolate and uninhabited.  Take food, water, warm clothing, maps and a GPS if you have one.  Note: Nothing stated on this web site gives anyone the right to dig, take, or possess any rocks or minerals from any lands illegally.  Make sure you comply with state and federal laws and private property restrictions.
. . . in Beaver County
   Across the USA, you’ll find settlements, hamlets, villages, towns, and cities; and then, of course, ghost towns. In our Country’s early settlement history, adventurers, explorers, families and entire communities set out to lay claim to a piece of America’s vast open land and build a future. Utah was settled predominantly by Mormon pioneers who in 1847 packed up a good portion of their community in Nauvoo, Illinois and set out across the wilderness to ultimately end up in the Salt Lake Valley. Shortly thereafter, Brigham Young, president of the Mormon faith instructed certain members of the church to go out and establish other settlements throughout the territory. The community of Beaver was one of the first settlements established in southern Utah, which occurred in 1856.
   This period in American history was also marked by a mass migration of other people to the West, fueled by the discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill in Coloma, California. The California Gold Rush, that began on January 24, 1848, attracted tens of thousands of gold seekers, merchants and other immigrants from around the world. By 1855, an estimated 300,000 people had flocked to California.  Over the next decade, the gold fields in California began to yield less and less, and prospectors (the forty-niners) began looking elsewhere. As early as 1858, silver was found in the Mineral Mountains east of what is today Milford, at the Lincoln Mine. After that, the Cave Mountain Mine located within the same area struck silver. Word began spreading to prospectors in California about silver and gold discoveries in the western Utah Territory.  Exploration was heating up, and in the early 1870s silver was then discovered at the Moscow and Shauntie mines in the Picachio Mountains, southwest of Milford. Then, in September of 1875, two prospectors in the Frisco Mountains (James Ryan and Samuel Hawks) while on their way to their digs, stopped to test a large outcropping of ore, found a silver ore body and immediately staked a claim.  After working the claim for a short time, they lost the direction of the ore body and decided to sell their claim for $25,000 rather than work it. However, the new owners found the main ore body and the saga of the rich Horn Silver Mine bonanza was born. Almost overnight, the town of Frisco became a booming mining community. By the late 1870s, workers at the mine had extracted 25,000 tons of ore with a high silver content.
Most Notable Ghost Towns - (A link for accessing a map of the area.)
  • Shauntie was situated across the valley west of Minersville in the Picachio Mountains and was the earliest mining settlement established in the county. Because the area had regularly running water, Shauntie later became the smelting center for the Star Mining District. At its peak, Shauntie had over 40 houses of various types, and several businesses including a hotel, several saloons, its own post office, and stores.
        Approximate Location: latitude: 38.3417N / longitude: 113.16583W
      Shenandoah is a ghost town site (little remains) in the central section of the Star Range, twelve miles southwest of Milford. Nearby is the ghost town of Shauntie. This early 1870's mining camp was named by Confederate war veterans of the Civil War.   Approximate Location: latitude: 38.35224N / longitude: 133.13611W
       Arago City is a ghost town site (little remains) in the Star Range about ten miles southwest of Milford. It is near the ghost town of Shauntie on the west side of Picacho Peak near the head of Shauntie and Moscow washes.
        Approximate Location: latitude: 38.34859N / longitude: 113.16490W
  • Frisco is probably the best-known ghost town in Utah.  (Play video above right)  The once booming mining town of the 1870s and '90s was located at the base of the San Francisco Mountains 15 miles west of Milford.  By all accounts, it was one of the wildest mining camps in the West and boasted the richest silver mine in the country, 21 saloons, hotels, gambling halls, its own newspaper, a red light district that would have rivaled many towns in the west, and two to five murders or shoot-outs per day. The town had its beginning in 1875 with the discovery of the fabulous Horn Silver Mine and at its peak 6,000 people called Frisco home.  In addition, by 1885 over $60,000,000 in zinc, copper, lead, silver, and gold had been hauled away from Frisco.   Location: latitude: 38.45635N / longitude: 113.25919W
  • Newhouse was founded in 1905 on the western slopes of the San Francisco Range. Samuel Newhouse built the town to house the miners who were working in his nearby Cactus mine. By Newhouse's orders, the town had no red-light district, no gambling, and no saloons. Instead, schools and parks were built. In five years, the mine began to decline and the region became a center for sheep men and cattlemen, who built large sheep-shearing pens. When the last cafe burned down in 1921, it was never rebuilt. For a period thereafter, Newhouse was used as cinematic location for western movie filming. The Hollywood movie “Covered Wagon” was filmed at this site. Today it is a ghost town site.     Approximate Location: latitude: 38.481N / longitude: 113.342W
  • Sulpherdale / Cove Fort - Around the mid 1850’s, sulphur was discovered in an area three miles south of Cove Fort, and twenty-four miles north of the town of Beaver. A mine was established in 1870, and a small settlement slowly developed in the early 1880s. In 1893, all of the nation’s native sulfur, about 1200 tons, came from Sulphurdale. However, the community was abandoned after the owner died. It is now a ghost town located on private property. A geothermal plant now exists on the site.  Cove Fort, was built in 1867 as an overnight encampment for travelers and is today a popular visitors stop just off Interstate 15.  Approximate Location: latitude: 38.56037N / longitude: 112.58101W
  •   See additional photographs below. (Click to Enlarge)
    Click to enlarge charcoal kilns Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Newhouse Club foundations
    Site created by TRI-COM Enterprises